"REMEMBERING OUR PAST to INSPIRE OUR FUTURE"
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Kurt Kosmowski, The Kosmowski Group - 248-345-4360 / firstname.lastname@example.org
MICHIGAN SPORTS HALL OF FAME 56TH INDUCTION EVENT
RETURNS TO DETROIT AT THE HISTORIC GEM THEATER -
EVENT DATE AND TICKET INFORMATION ANNOUNCED
SPORTS HALL TO CELEBRATE AND WELCOME BACK LOCAL
LEGENDS FROM FIVE-DECADES AND MULTIPLE ERAS OF SPORTS
DETROIT (June 21, 2012) The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame (MSHOF) will formally enshrine the latest class of athletes and sports figures at the 56th Induction Event on Thursday, Aug. 16 at the historic Gem Theater in Detroit.
To commemorate the depth and breadth of this historic class that spans five decades and multiple eras of sports, the 56th Induction Event will welcome back in a homecoming celebration, a diverse group of athletes and sports figures from Michigan including those who went on to star elsewhere.
The 56th Induction Class members are (* indicates deceased):
- *George Acker tennis Coach, Kalamazoo College
- *George Allen football, started his career Lakeshore High School
- Fred Arbanas football, Redford St. Mary's High School, Michigan State University
- *Chuck Bernard football, Benton Harbor High School, University of Michigan
- Ed Budde NFL football, Denby High School, Michigan State University
- Rex Cawley track & field/Olympian, Farmington High School
- *Bob Chappuis football All-American/Heisman runner-up, University of Michigan
- *Bob Devaney college football Coach and AD, Saginaw High School, Alma College
- Tom D'Eath champion hydroplane Racer, Detroit
- Guillermo "Willie" Hernandez 1984 A.L. MVP and Cy Young winner, Detroit Tigers
- Richie Jordan multi-sport prep star, Fennville High School
- *Eugene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb NFL Football, Miller High School
- Earl Lloyd NBA basketball color-line breaking player and also coach, Detroit Pistons
- Barbara Marchetti-DeSchepper speed skater, Upper Peninsula
- Milt Pappas- MLB player, Cooley High School
- Charlie Primas basketball, Pershing High School, Wayne State University
- Marcel Pronovost NHL Hall of Famer, Detroit Red Wings
- Dan Roundfield basketball, Chadsey High School, Central Michigan University, Detroit Pistons
- Ted Simmons MLB, Southfield High School
- Ralph Simpson NBA/ABA, Pershing High School, Michigan State University, Detroit Pistons
- Bob Strampe championship professional Bowler, Detroit
- Chet Walker NBA basketball, Benton Harbor High School
- *Bill Watson track & field, Saginaw High School, University of Michigan
- *Alex Wojciehowicz NFL, Detroit Lions
"We are very excited to announce that the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame's 56th Induction Event will return to Detroit," said Scott Lesher, MSHOF chairman. "The 56th Induction Event at the Gem Theater in the literal shadow of Comerica Park and Ford Field will serve as a homecoming for not only the members of this prestigious class, but also for the family, friend and fans of these sporting legends from areas throughout Michigan."
The MSHOF's 55th Induction Event will begin at 5 p.m. with a private V.I.P. reception. Festivities will include a strolling dinner reception beginning at 6 p.m. followed by the induction ceremony. More than 100 current MI Sports Hall of Famers have been invited to honor this induction class.
"We are thrilled to announce that the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame induction event is returning to Detroit in 2012," said Jim Stark, executive director of the MSHOF. "We strive to represent the entire state of Michigan and we expect that hosting the event that is annually the Academy Awards of sport in Michigan in downtown Detroit at the Gem Theater will be a tremendous experience for the honorees and attendees."
Tickets for the 56th Induction Event are by calling 248-473-0656, or by visiting the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame's Web site at www.michigansportshof.org. A limited number of the private, V.I.P. reception tickets are available at $225, general event tickets are $125 and a special youth ticket for those age 15 and under is priced at $75. Ticket packages and group rates are also available.
The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame is a 501(c)3 organization comprised of 28? former champions, medalists, and great contributors to the world of sports. The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame is dedicated to preserving, interpreting, honoring and displaying the amateur and professional history of sports in the State of Michigan through compelling events, exhibits, interactive e-displays and community outreach programs. Through these activities, the hall honors the athletes, coaches and administrators enshrined as Hall of Fame members who have brought fame, success and glory to the state.
For more information regarding the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, please visit http://www.michigansportshof.org.
The Michigan Sports Hall of Fame is a 501©3 non-profit organization.
Copyright © 2013 Michigan Sports Hall Of Fame